tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Laurent <sylvain.laur...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1042786 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/core/ catalina/loader/ tomcat/util/threads/
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:22:04 GMT

On 7 déc. 2010, at 17:35, Mark Thomas wrote:
> +1. Line length is an area I am becoming increasingly happy to be
> flexible. Aim for 80 but if 81 or 82 (or anything < ~90) makes the code
> more readable then I'd be fine with it.

As a rookie, I did not want to start bothering you with this, but since you bring the topic...
I think 80 is somewhat outdated: screens are now bigger, and especially wider (16:9 vs 4:3).
I think we should allow a greater line length to reduce the code height (the number of lines).
My preference is 100 characters per line.

Sylvain