tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7 & regex
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:50:06 GMT
On 25.12.2010 20:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/12/2010 01:49, Tim Funk wrote:
>> +0.5 - I wonder if in some cases - it may be preferable to use a
>> property called split which lets the user define the separator which we
>> can pass to String.split(). [Which OTOH may be more confusing (yet
>> powerful) since the user is using a regex to split get a list of regex]
>
> I think that just makes it more complicated. There is no need to split
> anything up since the regex can just use |. Rather than mix regex plus
> our own proprietary splitting mechanism, I think we should just use the
> support already provided by regex to do the same thing.

+1

Maybe reminding users about "|" with a *simple* example helps.

Concerning IP addresses and regexp: The escaping of the contained dots
is not really necessary, as long as one is matching the whole address
from the beginning to the end because the dots in the real address can
only match the (escaped or not) dots in the pattern.

What might be helpful is a general way of expressing networks (network
address plus netmask or bits). For httpd 2.4 there will be a general
expression parser which contains an operator called "-ipmatch" so
network addresses can be used not only in Allow/Deny (now: Require) but
also everywhere else.

Regards,

Rainer