tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1042786 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache: catalina/core/ catalina/loader/ tomcat/util/threads/
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:58:23 GMT
On 07/12/2010 22:22, Sylvain Laurent wrote:

> On 7 déc. 2010, at 17:35, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> +1. Line length is an area I am becoming increasingly happy to be
>> flexible. Aim for 80 but if 81 or 82 (or anything < ~90) makes the code
>> more readable then I'd be fine with it.
>
> As a rookie, I did not want to start bothering you with this, but since you bring the
topic...

We are both committers and so your opinion holds as much weight as mine
or any other committer.

> I think 80 is somewhat outdated: screens are now bigger, and especially wider (16:9 vs
4:3).
> I think we should allow a greater line length to reduce the code height (the number of
lines).
> My preference is 100 characters per line.

That is a fair point. The times I work on a screen where >80 is an issue
are far, far fewer than the times when a longer line length would make
the code more readable.

The way I like to have my IDE set up, 100 is a little too wide. 90 is
manageable which is why I said usually 80 with the flexibility to go to
90 if it makes the code more readable. Of course, I have been looking
for an excuse to buy myself a nice new wide-screen monitor ;)

Based on a couple of classes I have been working on recently, a longer
line length doesn't seem to offer too much in the way of fewer lines. My
guess is 80->90 reduces line count by ~3% and 90->100 by a similar
amount. I am sure it will vary by class.

My own view is that we should generally stick to 80 but treat it as a
guideline and use longer lines where it improves readability but lines
longer than 90 really should be the exception when there is no place
available to break the line.

As I said, all this is just my opinion. There is no formal limit but the
current code generally sticks to 80.

Mark