tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: setclasspath vs. setenv
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 20:49:01 GMT
> From: Thangalin [mailto:thangalin@gmail.com]
> Subject: setclasspath vs. setenv

> I find it odd that nowhere in that file is the classpath environment
> variable actually set.

That's because the CLASSPATH environment variable is inherently evil.  Don't ever use it (goes
double for Tomcat).  Anything recommending setting CLASSPATH is immediately suspect and not
to be trusted.

> The script appears to ensure other environment
> variables, such as JAVA_HOME are set.

These are ones specific to Tomcat.

> It was only by reading some of the other batch files that I was able to
> determine that the non-existent "setenv" script is called (when it exists)
> prior to Tomcat.

It's non-existent because it's supposed to be provided only by the Tomcat administrator.
The script files provided by Tomcat should *not* be changed.  Yes, the doc could be improved
- patches are always welcome.

> It appears as though "setclasspath" and "setenv" have had their names
> swapped.

Nope.

 - Chuck