tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics" by PidSter
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:59:54 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics" page has been changed by PidSter.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Troubleshooting_and_Diagnostics?action=diff&rev1=8&rev2=9

  Page stub for Troubleshooting and Diagnostics techniques.

  == Techniques & Reference ==
-  * Capturing a thread dump
+  * [[HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F| How To: Capture a thread
dump]]
   * Capturing a heap dump
   * Examining a Stacktrace
+  * [[HowTo#How_do_I_debug_a_Tomcat_application.3F| How To: Configure Tomcat for debugging]]
+  * [[FAQ/Memory| FAQ: Memory]]
+  * [[MemoryLeakProtection| Tomcat Memory Leak Protection]]
   * [[http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/monitoring/| Sun Technical Article:
Monitoring and Managing Java SE 6 Platform Applications]]
   * [[#usingjmxclients|Notes on using JMX clients]]

@@ -22, +25 @@

   * [[http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jhat.html| jhat - Heap
Analyzer Tool]]

  === Profilers ===
-  * MAT (Eclipse)
-  * YourKit Profiler
-  * JProbe
+  * [[http://www.eclipse.org/mat/| Eclipse Memory Analyzer (MAT)]]
+  * [[http://www.yourkit.com/| YourKit Profiler]]
+  * [[http://www.quest.com/jprobe/| JProbe| ]]
   * [[http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jvisualvm.html| VisualVM
Docs]]

  <<Anchor(usingjmxclients)>>
@@ -33, +36 @@

  When running a JMX client (JConsole, VisualVM) on the same machine as the target JVM process
it is possible to connect without pre-configuring a JMX port, using the local connector stub.
 This method relies on being able to create a protected temporary file, accessible only to
a user with administrator privileges.  Java processes which are accessible via the local connector
will automatically appear in the client.

- NB On Windows, this means that the temporary directory must be located on an NTFS formatted
disk.  See the following link for more details.
+ NB(1) On Windows, this means that the temporary directory must be located on an NTFS formatted
disk.  See the following link for more details.
+
+ NB(2) On Windows, if Tomcat is started using a service wrapper, this will prevent JConsole
& VisualVM from using the local JMX connector stub.

  [[http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/faq.html| JConsole and Remote
Management FAQ]]