tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandre Vézina <>
Subject Re: Distributed version of commons-daemon.jar
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:54:30 GMT
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Rainer Jung <>wrote:

> Hello Alexandre,
> On 23.10.2010 02:17, Alexandre Vézina wrote:
>> I had a bug starting tomcat6 with (commons-daemon). The problem was that
>> common-daemons was not able to register native methods (with
>> commons-daemon.jar). Digging into the problem made me find that the file
>> commons-daemon.jar distributed in
> There is not commons-daemon.jar distributed in the Tomcat source download.
> It is only contained in the binary downloads.

Oh yeah my bad, but it's quite the same problem...

>  was
>> not compatible with the (only) version of common-daemons wich is
>> distributed
>> right now (
>> Everything
>> worked fine when I got a copy of 1.0.2 from the svn tags.
> Right now the recent version is 1.0.3 not 1.0.2. It is likely, that in a
> few days it'll be 1.0.4. Did you mean 1.0.3?

commons-daemon-1.0.3 (unix binary files) was not able to launch tomcat with
commons-daemon-1.0.2.jar (unable to register native methods error). It only
worked with commons-daemon-1.0.2 unix binary files which is not a big
surprise, but the point is that the head versions of both projects are
incompatible out of the box.

>  So since the common-daemons-1.0.2 is no more distributed and the jar
>> distributed in tomcat-6.0.29 seems to be in version 2, do you think it
>> would
>> be a good idea to to update tomcat6.0.29-src.tar.gz with the
>> common-daemons-1.0.3.jar? Actually almost nobody will ever compile
>> common-daemons-1.0,2 again since the archive is no more available.
> All old versions are still available at No ASF
> distributed software version ever goes away :)

You reassure me :P. I forgot that apache had an archive repo.

> Dependencies and optional software bundled with Tomcat are usually updated
> with regular Tomcat releases. In this case I expect 6.0.30 is not too far
> away (couple of weeks maybe) and will contain daemon 1.0.3 or likely even
> 1.0.4 then.
> The change for daemon 1.0.3 was done in August already, but not yet
> released. See:

Good thanks

I guess it is not possible to have something like commons-daemon.1.0.3.jar
in the bin folder and then ln -s to commons-daemon.jar because of Windows
support? Or is the version of the jar file written somewhere in the bin
archive. I tried to grep it with no success.