tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.4
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:25:47 GMT
> From: Sylvain Laurent [mailto:sylvain.laurent@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Sylvain Laurent
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.4

> After spending some time reading the spec and the comments
> in both bug reports, I'm inclined to believe that the current
> behavior of tomcat 7.0.4 is not spec compliant.

I'd have to agree.  The pertinent wording in the spec is this (10.10):

"The Web server must append each welcome file in the order specified in the deployment descriptor
to the partial request and check whether a static resource in the WAR is mapped to that request
URI. If no match is found, the Web server MUST again append each welcome file in the order
specified in the deployment descriptor to the partial request and check if a servlet is mapped
to that request URI. The Web container must send the request to the first resource in the
WAR that matches."

and (12.1):

"4. If neither [sic] of the previous three rules [exact, prefix, extension] result in a servlet
match, the container will attempt to serve content appropriate for the resource requested.
If a 'default' servlet is defined for the application, it will be used."

and (12.2):

"A string containing only the '/' character indicates the 'default' servlet of the application."

Since no matches are found for the welcome files as static resources, and no matches are found
using the first three rules in 12.1, the fourth rule of 12.1 applies - and the request must
be passed to the declared default servlet of the application.

On the subject of welcome files, what in the world is the following paragraph doing in the
middle of section 8.1.6?

"By default all applications will have index.htm(l) and index.jsp in the list of welcome-file-list.
The descriptor may to be used to override these default settings."

 - Chuck