tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Parallel deployment
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:28:39 GMT
On 10/22/2010 7:39 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/10/2010 06:27, Tim Funk wrote:
>> (1) Since we already have
>> - effectiveMajorVersion
>> - effectiveMinorVersion
>>
>> Is Context.version a "good name" to use? Since the name version is also
>> used by the servlet spec? Would "revision" be a less confusing name? (Or
>> webappRevision).
>
> Good point. Maybe webappVersion?

Sounds good.

>> (2)
>> [I thought of this as a side effect of reading the patch ...]
>>
>> Would it be a good idea if Tomcat by default always has a default ROOT
>> webapp? Then we can guarantee a webapp is always mapped and we can let
>> that webapp handle the 404 error. This might simplify some of the mapper
>> and adapter code. So if there is no default webapp - tomcat inserts the
>> default.
>
> Another good point. Maybe just use the default servlet?

Maybe ... I was of thinking something like a webapp with this (logical)
definition.

<Context path="" docBase="/dev/null" />

And then (assuming) the default servlet is in
  $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml we then will not need an extra web.xml
(but it might be convenient to do so in case the defaults in the system
web.xml have undesirable behaviors)

-Tim