tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Can jsp-file be a JspServlet init-param?
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:54:22 GMT
I've recently rewritten the geronimo-jetty integration to work off the servlet 3 *Registration
classes.  This works great except for servlets backed by jsp files, since there's no way to
tell the servlet container through the ServletRegistration interface that its actually something
with this extra jsp file name that needs to be added through some special process into the
request.

However, its easy to subclass the JspServlet so it gets the jsp file value from an init param,
and of course its easy to set the init param from the web.xml.  This appears to work fine.

Is there some reason I've missed that this is a bad idea?

If not, would the jasper community consider a patch to modify the JspServlet so it directly
looks for such an init-param?  And would the tomcat community consider simplifying the runtime
code to use this init-param instead of a Constants.JSP_FILE request attribute?

thanks
david jencks