tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1002263 - /tomcat/trunk/bin/
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:51:09 GMT
On 28.09.2010 19:41, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Next the code
>  > echo "Tomact stopped but PID file could not be removed ($CATALINA_PID)."
> Will fail on shells that handle ( ...) like ` ... `

Just as an info: you can use

echo 'Tomcat stopped but PID file could not be removed ('$CATALINA_PID').'

(one line).

Inside single quotation marks shells do not make any substitution. Since
the variable needs a substitution you can switch from the single
quotation marks to double ones or none at all on the same line (and back).

I'm not sure though, which shells really handle "(..)" or "[...]" inside
a string as above in a special way. I would expect most bigger shell
scripts to fail then exactly because this is so common in log outputs.
So in my opinion the above was already safe. I only know about the
$((...)) idiom in ksh.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message