tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Brittain <jason.britt...@mulesource.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.2
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 21:09:02 GMT
Hi all!

[X] Beta   - go ahead and release as 7.0.2 Beta

It seems very close to stable, to me.

One thing I noticed while testing 7.0.2 is that the WebModule MBean
ObjectNames differ slightly from those of Tomcat 6.  Example:

Tomcat 7.0.2, ObjectName for the context "/":
Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=localhost/,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none

Tomcat 6.0.x, ObjectName for the context "/":
Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost/,J2EEApplication=none,J2EEServer=none

The diff is the two slashes in front of the hostname.  I'm not sure why the
two slashes were there in the first place (I don't see it anywhere in JSR
77), nor if they served a purpose.  Here's the code in Tomcat 6's
StandardContext (easy to find!) that built the string:

        String name= "//" + ((hostName==null)? "DEFAULT" : hostName) +
                (("".equals(pathName))?"/":pathName );

In Tomcat 7 it's in StandardWrapper (a little harder to find):

    private String getWebModuleKeyProperties() {

        StringBuilder keyProperties = new StringBuilder(",WebModule=");
        String hostName = getParent().getParent().getName();
        if (hostName == null) {
            keyProperties.append("DEFAULT");
        } else {
            keyProperties.append(hostName);
        }

I guess my question is: even if the slashes didn't serve any purpose, do we
want Tomcat 7's values to be consistent with those of Tomcat 6 for JMX API
compatibility reasons?

This was just one small inconsistency I noticed, versus Tomcat 6.  I have
not checked other object name values nor attribute values versus those of
Tomcat 6.

Thanks.
--
Jason