tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r960864 - /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/STATUS.txt
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:30:05 GMT
2010/8/3 Mark Thomas <>:
> On 07/07/2010 12:16, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 07/07/2010 11:36, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> It is not mentioned there that Java language keywords are
>>> also reserved.
>> Yes it is. Section 1.19 in the EL 2.2 spec.
>>> 3) I agree, that it is possible to read the spec in your way,
>>> so it makes sense to have such a check,
>>> but I think that there must be a way to turn it off.
>> For 6.0.x, I have no issue with providing an option to disable the check
>> since Tomcat 6.0.x up to this point has been not been fully enforcing
>> the spec. For Tomcat 7, which has only had a single beta release, I see
>> no need to provide the same option.
> As much as it pains me to do this it looks like the option to disable is
> going to be required in Tomcat 7 as well to pass the JSP TCK since the
> TCK appears to be using invalid identifiers. I'll be raising a challenge
> with Oracle about that shortly.

I think the language authors did not intend to be that strict. As I
already wrote,

>> 2) There is a separate chapter "Reserved Words" in EL spec,
>> which explicitly lists words that are forbidden as identifiers.

Also,  "enum" was not a keyword several years ago,
so strictly speaking JSP 2.0/Servlet 2.4 web applications
deployed on Tomcat 7 should be allowed to use it.
(Just as a reason to make it configurable)

Let's see how this is clarified.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail: