tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Links to Sun/Oracle on welcome page
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:53:08 GMT
On 25.08.2010 10:23, Pid wrote:
> On 25/08/2010 09:18, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 25/08/2010 08:45, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>> Just been looking at the #49819 (awesome BTW)
>> Huge +1.

Mine too!

>>> and noticed we are still referring to "Sun ..."
>>>
>>> Now, dunno if some from the community can give the
>>> answer whether this is still Sun or whether should
>>> be changed to Oracle.
>>
>> Given all the Java sites are moving to Oracle, my guess is that all
>> references to Sun are going to need to be replaced.
>
> Fair point.

The Servlets URL already gets redirected to

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index-jsp-135475.html

which doesn't look like a URL that's meant to last a long time.

It seems they have already prepared

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index-jsp-138231.html

for JSPs but have not yet implemented the redirect.

>>> Next thing is why do we need that at the first
>>> place on our welcome page? Seems to me like
>>> we are giving a free advertise to the company
>>> that is turning 180 regarding OSS.
>>> I would rather put links to something within
>>> ASF that might be valuable to the community
>>> or directly to JCP pages (if links to specs are needed).
>>
>> Agree completely. I have no issues linking to the JCP for the specs but
>> lets no give free advertising to a competitor.
>
> Any suggestions as to specific replacements for this, or anything else
> on there are welcome.

What about linking to the Specs? Like

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr315/index.html

or

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=315

Regards,

Rainer

The SunOrace pages IMHO do not contain have much additional info.