tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [taglibs] Null handling in Functions
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 06:58:59 GMT
With Tomcat 7 now out, it's tempting to focus on Taglibs in that space
rather than worrying about JavaEE5.

Does it do much for the user to add the annotations? Does it do much
for us on the development side?

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
> I work on a patch to remove them and add JavaDoc.
>
> What do you think of adding JSR-303 javax.validation annotations like NotNull? Those
are part of JavaEE 6 so are guaranteed to be available there but would require a dependency
for a JavaEE5 environment. My thought would be not to use them yet.

> Jeremy
>
> On Jul 4, 2010, at 11:36 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Agreed on 1.18.2. For String params (and Number, Character and
>> Boolean) it looks like Functions should be able to assume that they're
>> null-safe.
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Different methods in our Functions implementation handle null parameters inconsistently;
for example, toUpperCase does not perform any null check whereas indexOf does. If I grok the
EL spec correctly, all String parameter values should be coerced by the rules in 1.18.2 which
would guarantee that nulls are converted to "" and hence the null checks in the implementation
are redundant. I confirmed that  the EL implementation in Tomcat 7 [1] does this.

>>> My thought would be to remove them and rely on the JSP Engine to coerce correctly.
If this isn't safe then we should add similar checks to the other methods.

>>> Thoughts?
>>> Thanks
>>> Jeremy
>>>
>>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/el/lang/ELSupport.java?view=markup#l405