tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject [taglibs] Null handling in Functions
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:20:44 GMT
Different methods in our Functions implementation handle null parameters inconsistently; for
example, toUpperCase does not perform any null check whereas indexOf does. If I grok the EL
spec correctly, all String parameter values should be coerced by the rules in 1.18.2 which
would guarantee that nulls are converted to "" and hence the null checks in the implementation
are redundant. I confirmed that  the EL implementation in Tomcat 7 [1] does this.

My thought would be to remove them and rely on the JSP Engine to coerce correctly. If this
isn't safe then we should add similar checks to the other methods.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Jeremy

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/el/lang/ELSupport.java?view=markup#l405