tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Darwin <...@darwinsys.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Change the name of the default host in server.xml
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:02:25 GMT
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:51:04PM +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I'm teaching a Tomcat course today and tomorrow and one of the students
> raised the question why is the default host called localhost? The
> implied relationship to 127.0.0.1 was causing confusion. That got me
> thinking:

I am about -0.25 to changing it; on most machines it *is* 127.0.0.1 in addition
to any external interfaces, and as you point out everybody knows it, but
defaulthost probably is a better name in the long run, as it breaks the
implied necessary connection to the loopback host. OTOH, in training courses
and in development you often use a URL of http://localhost:8080/ and the
association there is good.

If you've only had one student have a problem with it, maybe it's not
worth fussing over? :-)

Ian