tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JIKESPATH in setclasspath.sh
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 02:58:39 GMT
JIKESPATH environment variable is used to provide path to the standard
library files of JRE (rt.jar etc.), because the standard javac
compiler knows where those are, but jikes does not. I found the
explanation in its FAQ, [1].

[1] http://jikes.sourceforge.net/faq/user-index.shtml#jikespath

Anyway, whoever needs that can write its own setenv.sh.

The latest version of jikes, 1.22, has the following in its release
notes on Sourceforge:
"This release supports compilation using the rt.jar shipped with the
released version of Java 5.0, but otherwise has no more support for
new language features than 1.21 did."  [2]

Because Jikes does not support Java 6 [2][3], I think we can drop its
support starting with Tomcat 7.

[2] http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=306072
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jikes

The following files mention jikes and will need to be updated:
bin/setclasspath.sh
conf/web.xml
webapps/docs/jasper-howto.xml.

Best regards,