tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Some todo's at AsyncContext detected...
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:03:08 GMT
On 30/06/2010 17:01, Marc Guillemot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What you write means that the freshly release Tomcat 7 doesn't fully
> implement Servlet API 3.0, isn't it?
>
> Interesting to see that nobody reacts :-(

If you were following the dev list you would have seen that
Jean-Frederic has already vetoed the change Peter made on the basis that
it breaks the TCK. That suggests that Peter's analysis of the current
situation is not 100% correct.

My recollection is that the last thing that Filip implemented for
Servlet 3.0 was the necessary timeout features. I'd be surprised if
Filip, as a member of the Servlet Expert Group that wrote the spec,
missed something fundamental. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some
edge cases missed. I do know that Filip tended to leave a lot of the
Servlet 3.0 TODOs in the code, even when he had implemented the
appropriate feature. Those certainly need cleaning up.

Looking at Peter's test case - along with the other issues folks have
raised in Bugzilla for the 7.0.0 release - is on my todo list but like
the other committers I have a day job. Whilst many of the committers are
fortunate enough (me included) to be able to allocate some work time to
Tomcat development, it doesn't follow one of the other committers will
immediately have the time necessary to look at Peter's e-mail and
comment in detail. I can't speak for the others, but my free time is
currently occupied with another Tomcat 7 issue - namely
http://tomcat.markmail.org/thread/25g353eqvqfqniiz

Like any area of Tomcat, help is always appreciated. If you are
interested in this issue and would like to help out I would encourage
you to look at Peter's test case, compare the expected behaviour to what
the spec defines and offer your view on whether there is a bug that
needs fixing or not. If there is an issue, patches would be even better.

Mark