tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Port tomcat-juli.jar handling from TC6 to TC7
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 16:11:36 GMT
2010/5/21 Mark Thomas <>:
>> Are there any objections?
> Yes.
>> The essence is that bootstrap.jar will mention tomcat-juli.jar in its
>> "Class-Path" value in its MANIFEST.MF.
> This was a hack we used to keep Eclipse happy. It doesn't serve any
> other purpose.

Eclipse was just an example, that things are broking by that change.
Not everybody uses catalina.bat/sh.

It is just that I do not like removing features without proper justification.

Besides that I know of the following:
a) I am able to start Tomcat 6 by running  java -jar bootstrap.jar

b) JSVC documentation says to use  jsvc -cp bootstrap.jar

Though, I should say that
Re: "a)": It is not an important use case.

Re: "b)": There are scripts that explicitly build a CLASSPATH for jsvc, e.g.
- in a recent e-mail
- found by Googling (this one is said to be for 5.0)

> has caused at least one
> support issue for one of our customers.

This sound bad.

Well, if your concerns are really serious and we go this way, let's
1. Remove commons-daemon.jar reference from bootstrap.jar manifest as well.
2. Update JSVC instructions in setup.html

AFAIK, the commons-daemon.jar is not needed unless we run with jsvc.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: