tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat 7.0.0 based on Tomcat 7.0.0 RC1
Date Sat, 01 May 2010 11:25:00 GMT
On 30/04/2010 23:37, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Hmm. I might be able to strip down what we use from BCEL to get rid of
>>> those.
>>
>> Easier said than done. I'll add the necessary updates to LICENSE & NOTICE.
>

> I'm assuming that this vote has been cancelled. And apologies for jumping in so late
-- just read this thread (motivated by discussion on geronimo dev list).

It was, but I didn't make it official. I'll do that in a sec.

> IMO, these files are not valid source files for an Apache release. I see the two files
in question were/are CPL licensed and you have elected to distribute the files under EPL,
instead. Either license seems problematic. So, I'm not sure why it would matter... Both licenses
are Category B licenses (according to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html ). Unless
you feel this source falls under the Category B exemption (which I don't think they do), they
should not be included in a release:

> "For small amounts of source that is directly consumed by the ASF product at runtime
in source form, and for which that source is unmodified and unlikely to be changed anyway
(say, by virtue of being specified by a standard), inclusion of appropriately labeled source
is also permitted. An example of this is the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd, whose inclusion is mandated
by the JSR 127: JavaServer Faces specification."

Thanks for the review. My bad. I saw we are using EPL for the JDT
compiler and assumed we'd be fine for this to. I'll see what I can do to
work around it or get the license changed.

Mark