tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Need advice to notify StandardExecutor when a webapp is stopped
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:17:49 GMT
> From: Sylvain Laurent [mailto:sylvain.laurent@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
> Sylvain Laurent
> Subject: Re: Need advice to notify StandardExecutor when a webapp is
> stopped
>
> Furthermore, there is probably some frameworks out there that
> do save things in ThreadLocals in a manner that does not cause
> classloader leaks but improve their performance. Cleaning their
> threadlocals after each request would decrease their performance.

It would seem difficult to achieve any kind of consistent performance improvement using ThreadLocal
objects in conjunction with a thread pool.  If the server had a very limited number of webapps
and the pool size were reasonably small, the webapp could show improvement, but otherwise
there's little chance of a particular request being processed by a thread that has already
been enhanced with a ThreadLocal for that webapp.  To me, it's much cleaner and less disruptive
to discard the ThreadLocal objects when a thread returns to the pool, rather than making all
webapps suffer when any one of them is restarted.

This is an area where some byte code modification might be appropriate in a container environment,
so that the ThreadLocal behavior could be modified to be "ContextLocal" instead.

 - Chuck