tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Question about context aliases
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:30:17 GMT
On 23.04.2010 12:04, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 23/04/2010 10:51, Rainer Jung wrote:

>>> Nope. Thats broken.
>>
>> I see, it was because you need to remove the trailing slash and for "/"
>> the trailing slash is the leading one too.
>>
>> Now using an alias with "/" naively seems to make not much sense (the
>> webapps will break unless you move everything there).
>
> Indeed. You might as well just change the docBase.
>
>> I thought about
>> using slash in order to overwrite stuff. So the expected behaviour for
>> an alias using "/" would be to only use the alias results, if something
>> was actually found under the alias.
>>
>> I prepared a patch for that:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rjung/patches/BaseDirContext_Alias_20100423a.patch
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I think that this, combined the support for resources in JARs under
> META-INF/resources is adding too much complexity. Let's keep things
> simple unless there is a use case the current functionality can't meet.

OK, so should we disallow "/" as an alias, or fix the trailing slash
thing and let the user live with the resulting behaviour? I'd say it
then makes more sense to disallow "/" (log a startup error) and document
that and the hint about docBase. I can make the adjustments if you like
(and agree).

Regards,

Rainer