tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chunked encoding should be used also when not using keepalive
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:52:34 GMT
On 01/04/2010 11:39, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 11:28 +0100, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 01/04/2010 11:02, Óscar Frías Barranco wrote:
>>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Seems reasonable but I'd like to hear from some of the other committers
>> before making any changes.
>>
>> If the change is made, it needs to be made for all connectors, not just
>> the BIO connector.
>
> It is not needed in the spec and is more expensive, as closing the
> connection is one of the valid content delimitation methods.

So it comes down to "Is the extra expense of chunked encoding a price
worth paying so UAs and proxies can tell if a response was unexpectedly
truncated, eg due to network error?"

I don't have any hard figures (I'll see if I can come up with some) but
my instinct is that this would be a price worth paying.

Mark