tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 7, Valve -> Filter conversion, and container-managed authentication/authorization
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:05:17 GMT

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:48 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7, Valve -> Filter conversion, and container-
>> managed authentication/authorization
>>
>> I guess my question would be "how much of servlet 3 has been
>> implemented in TC7 at this point"?
>
> Similarly, what's the status of JSR 196?  It seems to be languishing, to put it kindly.

Geronimo has a provider implementation, which we use, jetty has built in support, geronimo's
tomcat fork has support which we've offered back to tomcat, glassfish has support, IIUC JBoss
has had support for many years (well before the spec was approved).  I'm a little unclear
on the exact status in ee6 but think that support for the servlet profile is required so I'd
expect the commercial vendors to support it as well in their ee6 releases.

There does seem to be remarkable reluctance on the part of users to consider trying it.  Do
you have any idea why?

thanks
david jencks