tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Console for Tomcat
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:41:05 GMT
On 03.03.2010 00:14, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> On 3/2/10 1:33 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>>> This is the bit that, to me, offers an opportunity for real value.

>>> Potentially. Something else to think about is handling multiple Tomcat
>>> instances. If you could manage tens of instances from a single client
>>> then that would get a lot of interest from the user community.
>> This was pretty much the description of the incubating Lokahi effort,
>> which
>> sadly was mothballed, for now, due to lack of interest from the developer
>> community.
>>
> Lokahi did not generate much interest from the user community...
> unfortunately.

As far as I understand Lokahi tried to manage both, the Apache Webserver
and Apache Tomcat. Its goal was real enterprise type management, so e.g.
it put all configuration data into a database. That's a huge step from
were we are now (Tomcat manager webapp) and in the Lokahi domain the
"user" community is typically operations people who are often relatively
far from being a developer and contributing.

Trying to aim at the middle ground might trigger more interest. Being
able to remotely administer, but maybe not using a very high level
configuration management. That's something one could also discuss on the
users list.

AFAIK one of the problematic parts of the old admin webapp was getting
storeconfig into a working and maintainable state. In other words: how
does one correctly save changes applied to a configuration by a console?

Regards,

Rainer