tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Console for Tomcat
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:18:08 GMT
On 02/03/2010 00:20, Sandro Martini wrote:
> My post here is to see if someone of Tomcat developers is interested
> in supporting us making a Console for Tomcat, but instead of usual Web
> pages, making it as a RIA Applet or an Application (for example
> deployed via Web Start). Or at least if you think this could be an
> interesting application for Tomcat.

I'm generally in favour of changes that make it easier for folks to
customize and extend Tomcat. That said, I'd want to look at each
specific change on its merits.

As for an alternative manager implementation, I'm currently neutral. I'd
be a lot more interested if a maintained replacement for the admin
console (from Tomcat 5) was on the cards.

> I haven't looked (yet) at Tomcat sources, but I think that probably
> the way Tomcat published data should be extended for our purposes, for
> example we are able to read natively xml and also (better choice for
> us) json formats. Maybe we could add a parameter in our queries asking
> Tomcat for data published in one of those formats.

Tomcat's internals are mostly designed to be accessed via JMX. If you
can talk JMX then most of the work is done. There is a HTTP proxy to the
JMX interface in the manager app. Maybe a json-JMX proxy?

> In detail, I'm thinking on the following features, to see how things looks:
> - Server Status (standard and also the Full version), a prototype
> could start to implement this
> - List Applications

This should be trivial. If it isn't then, I'd have concerns about the
overall viability of the approach.

> There could be also the Tomcat Deployer in RIA version.

I'd view that feature as essential.

> For a Full Administration Console (I don't see this since a long time)
> we have to see later, this is complex and requires many features ...

This is the bit that, to me, offers an opportunity for real value.

> Do you think the effort could be interesting also for the Tomcat community ?

Potentially. Something else to think about is handling multiple Tomcat
instances. If you could manage tens of instances from a single client
then that would get a lot of interest from the user community.

Mark