tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Tomcat Connectors 1.2.30
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:57:31 GMT
On 28.02.2010 23:18, Rainer Jung wrote:
> 1) Logging Performance on ISAPI/Windows
>
> The logging changes for Windows seem to dramatically slow down log
> performance. That's not a problem when having only occasional info etc.,
> but when switching to debug or trace log operation ow gets really slow.
> E.g. shutting down takes about 5 minutes, one jkstatus call more than a
> minute. I did not built with explicit JK_LOG_LOCKING define, so maybe
> it's the mode 'a+c' change. Didn't have time for one more test. 1.2.28
> does not show that behaviour. There we can log about 20 lines before the
> clock advances by one 15ms tick, with 1.2.30 each log line takes between
> 15 and 200 ms.

One addition: the combination of the a+c mode and fflush() shows the
problem. As soon as I remove one of the two, perforemance is fine.

It's unfortunate, that the OS doesn ot allow to specify a fflush
interval, e.g. the file should be flushed every 500 ms. There's a
flushall() call, that could be used for something like that...

Regards,

Rainer