tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java EE 6 Web Profile
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 14:52:37 GMT

On Mar 1, 2010, at 2:11 AM, Gurkan Erdogdu wrote:

> Thanks for  the answer Mark :)
>
> I have started to fork the Tomcat to implement a Java EE Web Profile, called
> Web Enterprise Server :)
>
> My reasons:
> 1* Without touching source code it is impossible to implement such a
> product.
> 2*  I also do not like code conventions used in Tomcat (for example ,
> listener-observer model.). I will implement an interfaces and use interfaces
> on all core modules instead of using implementation classes.
> 3* I do no like to build it via complex ant scripts. I will create a maven
> module for each of the projects. I think that each current project will
> provide one/two modules.

Gurkan,
As Mark mentioned, the Geronimo community is building an EE6 Web Profile server and full EE6
profile, also. Current releases of Geronimo already provide custom assemblies which can provide
lighter-weight server runtimes (e.g. web container, only) customized to the needs of your
application(s). You'd be more than welcome to work with the Geronimo community.

Regarding a maven build, Geronimo has a tomcat-archetype which can be used to create a Tomcat
maven build environment. You might want to check it out.

--kevan