tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Trivial Update of "FAQ/CharacterEncoding" by KonstantinKolinko
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:11:23 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/CharacterEncoding" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko.
The comment on this change is: Style tweak: Remove HRs, because they looked ugly: somehow
the browser (FF) displayed them all with different thickness.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding?action=diff&rev1=14&rev2=15

Section 3.7.1]]

- ----
+ <<BR>>

  <<Anchor(Q9)>>'''Why does everything have to be this way?'''

@@ -67, +67 @@

  Section 3.1 of the ARPA Internet Text Messages spec states that headers are always in US-ASCII
encoding. Anything outside of that needs to be encoded. See the section above regarding query
strings in URIs.

- ----

  === How ===

@@ -83, +82 @@

[[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html|Tomcat 6 AJP Connector]]

- ----
+ <<BR>>

  <<Anchor(Q3)>>'''How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?'''

@@ -99, +98 @@

  }}}

- ----
+ <<BR>>

  <<Anchor(Q8)>>'''What can you recommend to just make everything work? (How to
use UTF-8 everywhere).'''

@@ -117, +116 @@

   1. Disable any valves or filters that may read request parameters before your character
encoding filter or jsp page has a chance to set the encoding to UTF-8.  For more information
see http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg21117.html.

- ----
+ <<BR>>

  <<Anchor(Q4)>>'''How can I test if my configuration will work correctly?'''

@@ -147, +146 @@

  }}}

- ----
+ <<BR>>

  <<Anchor(Q6)>>'''How can I send higher characters in my HTTP headers?'''

  You have to encode them in some way before you insert them into a header. Using url-encoding
(`%` + high byte number + low byte number) would be a good idea.

- ----

  === Troubleshooting ===