tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "FAQ/Developing" by KonstantinKolinko
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 02:17:40 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ/Developing" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko.
The comment on this change is: Updated.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Developing?action=diff&rev1=7&rev2=8

  <<Anchor(Q2)>>'''How do I remotely debug Tomcat using Eclipse?'''

- This answer assumes that you have a project set up with all of the fixings and have some
idea of what you're doing in this respect. If not then thats really outside the scope of this
topic and more in the scope of you needing to go to [[[http://eclipse.org|eclipse.org]]] and
read up on how to use your ide, and maybe practice a little bit before you come back to this.
We're also going to assume you have some idea of what a debugger is and how to use one.
+ This answer assumes that you have a project set up with all of the fixings and have some
idea of what you're doing in this respect. If not then thats really outside the scope of this
topic and more in the scope of you needing to go to [[http://eclipse.org|eclipse.org]] and
read up on how to use your ide, and maybe practice a little bit before you come back to this.
We are also going to assume you have some idea of what a debugger is and how to use one.

- Make sure tomcat is started and that your app is deployed and the sources, etc are all defined
as resources in your app. If you have a servlet or something, set a breakpoint where its sure
to hit on the next request. Go to "Run->Debug Configurations...". Click on "Remote Java
Applications", then click "New". Type in the title and all. Notice that port 8000 from the
Tomcat instructions. Save and run. Eclipse will connect to the VM that Tomcat is running under.
Wow, that was easy! Now go type the url to submit to your servlet or whatever in your browser.
Boom you hit the breakpoint right? Have fun!
+ Make sure Tomcat is started and that your app is deployed and the sources, etc are all defined
as resources in your app. If you have a servlet or something, set a breakpoint where its sure
to hit on the next request. Go to "Run->Debug Configurations...". Click on "Remote Java
Applications", then click "New". Type in the title and all. Notice that port 8000 from the
Tomcat instructions. Save and run. Eclipse will connect to the VM that Tomcat is running under.
Wow, that was easy! Now go type the url to submit to your servlet or whatever in your browser.
Boom you hit the breakpoint right? Have fun!

  <<Anchor(Q3)>>'''How do I remotely debug Tomcat using NetBeans?'''
@@ -48, +48 @@

  <<Anchor(Q4)>>'''How do I change the monitoring interval for modified resources
and application reloading?'''

- Modify the {{{checkInterval}}} attribute value on the relevant Loader element in your web
application configuration file (yourapp.xml), or in the main configuration file {{{%CATALINA_HOME%/conf/server.xml}}}
if that is the one you're using. For more information, please see the [[[http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/config/loader.html|Loader
configuration reference]]].
+ Monitoring interval for application reloading is controlled by the `backgroundProcessorDelay`
property on `Context` element or on its parent containers: `Host` and `Engine`. See [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/index.html|Tomcat
Configuration Reference]]. By default there is a single backgroung processing thread that
run by Engine. See its [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/engine.html|configuration]]
for the default delay value.

+ Monitoring intervals for the JSP pages are set in the [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jasper-howto.html|Jasper
servlet configuration]] in `web.xml`.