tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r899395 - /tomcat/trunk/dist.xml
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:21:13 GMT
On 15.01.2010 16:06, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Although some platforms have broken(limited) default tar.
> Dunno if we are using very long paths that would break tar
> on Solaris (eg. +100 character path names)

Yes, src, bin and fulldocs tarballs include longer path names then 100
chars.

OTOH even the most traditional Solaris admin got used to using gtar
instead of Solaris tar when unpacking non-Sun downloads. Sun even ships
it e.g. with Solaris 10 as /usr/sfw/bin/gtar in package SUNWgtar.

> Also the tar produced by ant doesn't look at all
> like the one produced by gtar.
> Think the problem is that we should add all files
> at once during the build since it looks the tar has
> multiple header sections or something.

I never had problems extracting the Tomcat ant tarballs with gtar ...

Regards,

Rainer