tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Access GlobalNamingResources using javax.naming
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:59:51 GMT
On 12/18/2009 11:38 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2009/12/17 Filip Hanik - Dev Lists<devlists@hanik.com>:
>
>> On 12/16/2009 07:37 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>>> I think, that in JNDI there is no such way
>>>
>> ok, maybe we can add in a namespace for that, such as
>> InitialContext.lookup("global:");
>> and then have a config attribute allowGlobalLookup="true|false" to be
>> backwards compatible
>>

> Why using<ResourceLink>  does not satisfy you?

cause I'm hard to please ;)
resourcelinks get tied up using thread bindings or class loader
bindings. This makes java:comp/env/ not work for a background thread
that was not loaded from web-inf/lib

also, building custom tomcat components, that you define in server.xml,
you may want to access through regular jndi and not have to import
org.apache.catalina.Server to get to the global context

> I would like all access to the global resources to be explicit. If you
> need it, just add a<ResourceLink>, as documented.
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html
>

>> and then have a config attribute allowGlobalLookup="true|false" to be
>> backwards compatible
>>
> How is that from Security stand point?
>
> I mean, it must be allowGlobalLookup="false" by default.

that is correct. Default behavior should be backwards compatible.
on top of that, one can add in a new java.security permission to further
control access using the security manager