tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: DBCP 1.3/1.4
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:53:27 GMT
On 12/08/2009 11:04 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Tim Funk wrote:
>
>> [I know I'm missing something .. but] Would it be worth dropping dbcp
>> from 7 and just use jdbc-pool?
>>
> I think dropping dbcp would be bad - it is something that is familiar to
> lots of users.

familiar in what sense? how would jdbc-pool be unfamiliar in terms of
config?
I would say the opposite, most users wouldn't even know the difference,
especially since we don't ship org.apache.commons.dbcp, but we refactor
it to org.apache.tomcat.dbcp

> +1 to including jdbc-pool

I'd be all for that :)
> Which one to make the default?

given the interface issues with DBCP, sounds like jdbc-pool might be an
easier way to go.
jdbc-pool is a bit more flexible should the need to add features arise.
> My very rough (not really thought out and I haven't looked at the code)
> post commons-dbcp 1.4 and commons-pool 1.5.4 ideas are, since both need
> a major refactoring, lets use jdbc-pool as the basis for some of that
> refactoring and essentially bring the two code bases together.
>
> How viable that is and how long it might take is very TBD.

the only downside to my suggestions above is that jdbc-pool doesn't have
much developer community around it.
the usage of it has grown, and the bug reports have been very few and no
major issues are outstanding.
unless we can build a community around it, we need to figure out what to
do with it.

Filip