tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject DBCP 1.3/1.4
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:11:24 GMT
Commons is close to the next DBCP release.

I have been looking at this and there will, unfortunately, still be some
Java 5 with JDBC 3 / Java 6 with JDBC 4 issues. It isn't possible to
work around them without a complete refactoring and/or multiple JARs
and/or use of something like BCEL.

Rather than introduce any of this complexity, I recommend the following
approach.

Continue to ship Tomcat 6 with Java 5 built JDBC 3 support
Ship Tomcat 7 with Java 6 built JDBC 4 support

For the rare occasions where folks using Tomcat 6 want JDBC 4 support
(from the lack of posts on this topic on the users list I don't think
there are that many of them) they can grab the dbcp jar from Tomcat 7
and use that instead.

Mark