tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat-Lite update
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:04:50 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Tim Funk <funkman@apache.org> wrote:

> I am intrigued by the idea and have similar constraints (kids+job).
>
> My longer term interest in lite was a simpler deployment and moving config
> into scripting and out of xml. (But this was more dream due to time
> requirements)

Yes, tomcat-lite should still be able to run servlets - but all the
'framework' from the servlet API will be out of scope.
Tomcat-lite won't create or configure servlets for you, won't have class
loaders or process annotations. That would be
the job of whatever DI framework you chose - or just plain java or
scripting.

It will also not have declarative authentication - instead should have
filters implementing auth schemes beyond what's possible
now - for example OpenID.

IMO the servlet spec - 10 years ago - was a great answer to 'how to I write
web applications in java'. Then the J2EE and framework
stuff got added and added. The whole philosophy is to take away control from
application developer and have the framework
provide it ( typically with a 'lowest common' flavor ).

There are plenty of good DI frameworks - spring, guice, various OSGI
implementations - that do a better job configuring objects or
handling class loading.

I think it's much better to focus on HTTP-related features. It is also a
tractable project for people with jobs and kids, and I think
it would be a better value for both beginners and advanced users.

> As an aside, I am wondering if the long term effect to simplification will
> break things like the security manager. And with the capabilities we see in
> VM's today - is it better to just ignore the security manager and just tell
> people to use an isolated VM if they wish to lock things down. Is there a
> good reason to use a security manager today? (This might be a survey
> question for the user list)

The applet-style security manager is history. I doubt anyone is using it -
or is using it correctly - on server side. It was a dead end anyways
without good isolation and resource limitting.

Isolated processes and/or isolated OS instances seems to be a much better
approach for anyone who really needs to run untrusted code.

That's one of the reasons for the proxy focus - I want at some point to have
tomcat-lite run a single context per process, and proxy/load
balance requests.

Costin