tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SSL MITM status update
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:41:45 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> Sounds good to me, thanks!
>
> Info not yet ready for users@: On dev@httpd there is discusion, whether
> to fix request splicing attacks by dropping the buffer, therefore
> effectively not allowing to combine a partial request before reneg with
> the request coming after the reneg. Although we don't know yet, whether
> that is the only attack possible, all scenarios I have heard of use
> request splicing.
>
> Discussion and testing whether this breaks clients still has to proceed.
> I think it's not a reason to prevent a release here, but there might be
> more fine grained workarounds for the attack in combination with
> server-initiated reneg feasable.

Thanks. I'll add something to the first paragraph along the lines of:
"Discussion is focussed on workarounds that could be applied that would
allow server initiated renegotiation without exposing the participant to
the vulnerability described in CVE-2009-3555."

Unless anyone complains, I'll send this out later today.

Mark