tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Cookie issues
Date Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:59:42 GMT
On 11/11/2009 02:45 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think cookies are still broken, and this is getting more and more
>> complex. The apparent issue is that the parser applies v1 parsing rules
>> when parsing v0 cookies (which are generated using a much more lenient
>> character exclusion), resulting in cookies that cannot be parsed back.
>>
>> A simple example is a regular cookie session (!), where the path cannot
>> even be parsed back ('/' is now in the "specials" list).
>>
>> Maybe we could parse as v0, and validate the bytes if the cookie turned
>> out to be v1 ?
>>
> I really do loath cookies right now.
I don't blame you.
> I've pulled the proposed patches for 5.5.x
> and 6.0.x until I (or someone else) can take a look at this.

Cookies, while the spec on v1 is somewhat clear, is a nasty can of
worms. Mostly cause user agents over the years have taken all kinds of
liberties. When J-F-C and myself refactored some of it a while ago, we
went through that whole exercise. It's not something you patch up and
throw out there. Even as careful we thought we were, we broke a
shitload, and then slowly added in some leniency towards the most common
user agent errors.

So I think your idea of waiting a bit is wise.

best
Filip