tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat-Lite update
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:19:44 GMT
I am intrigued by the idea and have similar constraints (kids+job).

My longer term interest in lite was a simpler deployment and moving
config into scripting and out of xml. (But this was more dream due to
time requirements)

As an aside, I am wondering if the long term effect to simplification
will break things like the security manager. And with the capabilities
we see in VM's today - is it better to just ignore the security manager
and just tell people to use an isolated VM if they wish to lock things
down. Is there a good reason to use a security manager today? (This
might be a survey question for the user list)

-Tim

Costin Manolache wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomcat-Lite was started few years ago as an effort to produce a smaller,
> cleaner version of tomcat. Unfortunately
> it  didn't get lots of development time - I was very busy at work ( and at
> home - 2 kids now ), and it didn't
> seem to be in a state where other people would start using it and
> contribute.
<SNIP>