tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r823603 - in /tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/ha/backend: CollectedInfo.java HeartbeatListener.java MultiCastSender.java TcpSender.java
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:27:43 GMT
On 10/12/2009 01:06 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> On 10/10/2009 12:24 AM, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>> you're gonna run into all the same issues we already worked through with
>> tribes. I'm not sure why you don't just use tribes rather than
>> reinventing everything from scratch
>
> Well it is not exactly solving the same problem, here we need a
> protocol between the node of a cluster to the front-end. I though
> tribes was just to be used between the nodes of a cluster, did I miss
> something?
Tribes is generic, just a communication component. Can be used for
anything. And if there are changes needed we can make them.
What you are developing right now, looking at the code, you may be
reinventing a lot of code that already exists.
What is Tomcat specific is the org.apache.catalina.ha package that sits
on top of Tribes.
> Additionally the httpd part doesn't work only with Tomcat but could
> also front-end other httpd making the use of tribes a bit complex....
what is the httpd part right now, is it in trunk?
however, since all you need is communicate data back and forth, you
could make it work with any comm layer underneath, instead of writing
one from scratch.

best
Filip