tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Testing new website sync process
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:59:41 GMT
Folks,

As part of the response to the recent compromise of ASF servers [1] the
infrastructure team are introducing a new way to sync web sites from svn
and are looking for PMS to volunteer to test the new process.

I'd like to volunteer the Tomcat website. Any objections? I'm happy to
take on fixing any teething problems.

The advantage is that commits to svn will be reflected on the live site
within a few seconds.

If we want we can also have a staging site tomcat.staging.a.o where we
could preview stuff [2]

My own view is that a staging site isn't necessary. Our site is simple.
We can test locally before committing and with commits affecting the
live site within a few seconds, fixing any snafus should be easy.

Cheers,

Mark

[1] http://blogs.apache.org/infra/

[2] This require a separate svn location to sync from. Something like:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/branches/live
would sync to
http://tomcat.apache.org/
and
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/site/trunk
would sync to
http://tomcat.staging.apache.org/
and we would have to svn merge changes from trunk to live.