tomcat-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steven Mahurin <>
Subject 5.5.28 issue when multiple services with engines named the same
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:16:53 GMT

I am using tomcat 5.5.27 to run a set of simple set of applications.  I am looking at 5.5.28
to address a number of security vulnerabilties.  When I tried the 5.5.28, we ran into an issue
when two services were defined in server.xml, if the same engine name was used for both but
different host names/settings, the second engine would not start up. This worked in 5.5.27,
and the documentation indicates that the engine name must be unique-per-service, not per server.
 Is this a known issue?  

I ended up just renaming the engine defined in the second service and it works fine.  However,
this may cause other people issue when going to 5.5.28 from previous releases, and it seems
to differ from the configuration reference.

Note that I verified that this issue is present using the 5.5.28 build that Filip had as a
release candidate on 7/24:

You should be able to reproduce this by adding a service definition similar to the following
to the end of the default server.xml file (and creating a webapps-testonly folder in the tomcat

<Service name="testservice">
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="testpsuedohostname">
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm" resourceName="UserDatabase"
      <Host name="testpsuedohostname" appBase="webapps-testonly" />
    <Connector port="8010" enableLookups="false" protocol="AJP/1.3" address=""

In 5.5.27, both defined services startup normally.  In 5.5.28, the following trace is generated
when the above testservice starts up:
INFO: Starting service testservice
Aug 1, 2009 2:22:19 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.28
Aug 1, 2009 2:22:19 PM org.apache.catalina.connector.MapperListener handleNotification
WARNING: Error registering Host Catalina:type=Host,host=testpsuedohostname
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.MapperListener.registerHost(
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.MapperListener.handleNotification(
    at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor$ListenerWrapper.handleNotification(

I haven't looked into the change that caused the difference, as the work around appeared to
be simple (just rename the engine).  I believe its a bug, but haven't reported it yet as a
bug because I wanted to make sure my understanding of the configuration documentation was
correct (engine name unique-per-service vs unique-per-server).




To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message