tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <>
Subject [proposal] remove worker based connector thread pools in trunk
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:07:04 GMT
Here is why I think its good

1. Current pools can't shrink, so when peak has been hit, that's where
were at
2. Current pools are unfair, synchronized (workers) { workers.wait() },
executors are a bit more fair since they only hold a lock for a short period
3. Reduce duplicate code
4. Executors provide more flexibility
5. I have not found a performance difference anymore
6. Async implementation becomes much easier, since
AsyncContext.dispatch() is easily handed off to an executor and
releasing application thread. Otherwise we have to add an executor on
top of the existing thread pool, which is doable, just not pragmatic

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message