tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Tomcat Wiki] Update of "SummerOfCode2009/LoadingFilterConfiguration" by xxd82329
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:48:20 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by xxd82329:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/SummerOfCode2009/LoadingFilterConfiguration

  For global level filters(for all the servlet in this tomcat instance), we have conf/web.xml
file to put configurations. And for servlet level filters(wrapper level in tomcat), we have
individual web.xml files too. The question is, what if the filter should  be engine/host/context
level, where do we put the configuration?

- I think we could add those configurations into conf/server.xml, and we could also support
"$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/engine-filters.default" for engine level filters, "$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/host-filters.default"
for host level filters and "$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml.default"
for context levelfilters just as tomcat do now for "context.xml.default".
+ Here are some options I could bring to my mind:
+
+ 1: we could add those configurations into conf/server.xml

- Are there any other places that could put the configurations for those converted filters?
Any comments are welcomed. Thank you for your time.
+ pros: the place for configuration keeps consistent with that of valves. And we could also
use similar syntax as valves. So I think this is least abrupt way for configurating filters.

+ cons: Maybe a little strange to config somewhat general Servlet structure into a tomcat
specific configuration file. And need some hacking for squeezing those configurated filters
into filter chain.
+
+ 2: we could also support "$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/engine-filters.default" for engine
level filters, "$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/host-filters.default" for host
level filters and "$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/context.xml.default" for context
levelfilters just as tomcat do now for "context.xml.default"
+
+ pros: keep consistent with valves. And somewhat the same as the first method. I think this
could be the complement of the first one.
+
+ cons: But I think this way is more verbose than the first, since configuration scattered
into several places. Considering the situation of valves, there are not too many filters need
to be configurated in this way.
+
+
+ 3: Put all those converted filters into the global conf/web.xml, and using some extra parameters
to determine the level(server/engine/host/context) which this filter belongs to.
+
+ pros: keep consistent with the Servlet specification. And maybe least source code that need
to write.
+
+ cons: the global conf/web.xml file is rather long now. Scrolling this file and adding or
altering it could become a burden to developer to some degree.
+
+
+
+
+ Are there any other places or methods that could put the configurations for those converted