tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: jaxb alternative to digester
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2009 00:06:24 GMT
On 07/10/2009 04:39 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> Geronimo's tomcat integration has up till recently used tomcat server
> components wrapped in geronimo gbean components, and server
> configuration through gbean configuration.  This is less flexible and
> less convenient than server.xml configuration, and we've had several
> requests to provide configuration via server.xml.  However, we need to
> typically use subclasses of the tomcat server classes.  Unfortunately
> I have an unreasoning hatred of digester formed when I tried to debug
> what it was doing.
It's a love and hate relationship. I like it though.

> After a little bit of thought I came up with an alternative jaxb based
> system.  There' s a schema I reverse engineered from digester rules,
> and a bunch of classes modified from ones jaxb generated from the
> schema.  After generating the classes I added some "build" methods
> that go through the jaxb model tree and construct the tomcat
> components and wire them together.  This seems to work fine and I find
> it easy to modify and debug and understand what it's doing.
>
> In case anyone is interested in looking at this it's in our
> geronimo-tomcat6 module in the "model" package.  The schema is under
> src/main/xsd.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/tomcat/geronimo-tomcat6

this would be a fairly big change in something that results in the exact
same results when the container has started up.
There are many projects that are using the features as they are today,
and changing it would result in a much more difficult migration to
Tomcat 7. I think it would hurt adoption of the new release.

So I would not do away with the digester. But that doesn't stop us from
adding a different way of configuring it as well. MarkT has been working
alot on improving the embeddability of Tomcat in trunk, and might have
some more comments.

Filip