tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Remove SVN keywords from JavaDoc
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 00:01:20 GMT
As was written early in this my thread:

there are problems with Subversion $Date$ keyword:
1. It uses localized names for the month and the day of the week
2. It writes those localized strings using UTF-8, while our sources
are ISO-8859-1
3. The time that is printed is in local timezone

There are two possible solutions (besides ignoring the issue):
a) Use $Id:$ keyword instead
b) Remove the keyword

For the java sources, I propose the simpler one of the above:

I propose to remove *all* SVN keywords from our *.java sources, where they are
used in JavaDoc comments.
That includes the following four keywords: Author Date Id Revision

As it is a documentation change, I won't propose a patch, but go C-T-R.

What are your opinions?
If there are any objections to such a change, please write so.

I think that having SVN keywords in JavaDoc is not so useful, because
- Classes do change often, but their JavaDoc do not so.
- You know, to what TC release your JavaDoc corresponds to. Why to need more?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: