tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: dbcp pool evictor deadlock?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:59:41 GMT
first, sorry for bringing this thread to dev, that should have never
happened. I fat fingered the keyboard.

Eric B. wrote:
> "Mark Thomas" <markt@apache.org> wrote in message
>
>> Narendra Sarkar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> We have a multi threaded environment. We have noticed that thread blocks
>>> for
>>> 10 to 20 minutes due DBCP getConnection method call. Then, we
>>> investigated
>>> the source code of DBCP(commons-dbcp-1.2.1-PII.jar) and noticed that
>>> createConnection method is synchronized. This problem occur more
>>> frequently
>>> when we have lower value of MaxIdleConnection parameter. After increasing
>>> the value of MaxIdleConnection parameter, frequency of blocking get
>>> reduced.
>>> We then replaced DBCP connection pooling with Oracle Connection pooling
>>> (ojdbc14.jar) and never encountered blocking issue.
>>>
>>> I think the issue is with that createConnection method of DBCP
>>> synchronization. We have taken Thread dump to do above analysis.
>>>
>> Yep, known issues with commons-pool. Should be fixed in 1.5.1. Trunk has
>> been updated. Proposed for 6.0.x and 5.5.x. Alternatively, there is the
>> new JDBC pool module.
>>

> I'm a little confused now.   Filip pointed me to the jdbp-1.0.5 package.  Is
> that just repackaged versions of dbcp 1.2.2/pool 1.5?  If not, what versions
> of dbcp/pool are contained within there?

its a different package all together. Similar features, different
implementation.
> If the fix in commons-pool is in 1.5.1, am I still expecting concurrency
> problems if upgrading 1.5?  What would be the best move?

if the issue is fixed in 1.5.1, you should upgrade to 1.5.1 if that's
what you want.