tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Please review JDBC Pool before vote
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 02:28:15 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 22/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
>
>> in the spirit of trying to get my poop right,
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/jdbc-pool/v1.0.5/
>>

> Looks a lot better.
>

>>  the binary releases contain everything in individual jar files (including
>> source references for IDEs)
>>

> However, there are no N & L files in the jars.
> As these are likely to be independently deployed, the L&N really ought
> to be present in the jars.

That's incorrect, as a single JAR doesn't constitute a release.

>>  the source release is "as is" from our repo, with the ability to build by
>> using
>>  ant download build
>>

> That's much better, and the Ant build file generally works well.
>
> However, it's not easy finding out how to build and test the source
> release, as the information is buried in an XML file.

how about RTFM :), I'd rather not add more files to such a simple release.
Most folks that find a build.xml find that relatively easy.
What I could do is make the default target work out of the box.
if you type ant then it will work

> I think there should be a README or BUILDING text file in the
> top-level directory which includes simple instructions to build and
> test. This should include details of Java version etc, and any other
> software that is required, e.g. database. Most of the required info is
> in the XML file; it could be moved into the text file.
>
> Some of the tests fail; I assume that is because I am not running
> MySQL, but this requirement does not appear to be described anywhere,
> and there are no details of what (if anything) needs to be set up in
> the MySQL database (logins, tables, etc.).

tests dont have to pass :)
not all of them are made to
> The Ant "dist" target adds the build.properties file (if present) to
> the source archive; I don't think it should do this as it may contain
> host-specific information.

this can be adjusted.