tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Modified dist.xml to produce platform native packages
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:01:29 GMT
Hi,
Mark Thomas schrieb:
> +1. If we get feedback from users that suggests changes we can re-evaluate.
I got in the past every now and then feedbacks from users who wanted to
upgrade TC from a previous version: they were really confused by the
single packages, and always asking 'what do I really need to download
now?' ...
Personally I would prefer something like the MSYS or Cygwin installer:
one executable (I think this could / should even be written in Java)
which then downloads the required packages from the mirrors depending on
the platform it runs on, and depending on choices the user selects.
This way you split into as many packages as you think makes sense while
finally hiding this from the user who always only needs to download the
installer - and perhaps its even more simple if we would have a
installer applet which launches via Java Webstart...

G√ľnter.