tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release JDBC Pool module v1.0.4
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:22:05 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 16/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devlists@hanik.com> wrote:
>
>> Sebb, I can't find anything that is broken. All your concerns seem invalid
>> to me.
>>

> Please revisit, especially the NOTICE files.

no need

>>  Filip
>>
>>  sebb wrote:

>>> NOTICE file is incorrect, it should read:
>>>
>>>  Apache Tomcat JDBC Pool
>>> Copyright 2008-2009 The Apache Software Foundation
>>>
>>> This product includes software developed by
>>> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>> <<<
>>>
>>> [e.g. See
>>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#notice-required]
>>
>>> This assumes that JDBC Pool was first released in 2008; if not adjust
>>> accordingly.
>>>

>>  that date is correct. The code started in 2008
>>

> So why does the NOTICE file say this?
>
> <quote>
> Copyright 1999-2009 The Apache Software Foundation
> </quote>
>
> It is also missing the following required paragraph:
>
> This product includes software developed by
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

cause other files, in the SVN tree may come from earlier times.

>>> Two java files (ResultSet and TestException) don't have AL headers.
>>>

>>  These don't ship with the release
>>

> Nevertheless, they need AL headers.

Has nothing to do with the release itself, hence you can't say the
release is broken.

>>> The jar files don't have NOTICE or LICENSE files.
>>>

>>  Same as Tomcat, only .tar.gz and .zip have it.
>>

> Two wrongs don't make a right.

You still don't get it. NOTICE and LICENSE are for the release. the .jar
file themselves don't constitute the release, only the entire package
does. you may want to verify this with folks who know :)

>>> Releases must consist of a source archive; binary archives are optional.
>>> The source archive must contain all the items needed to build and test
>>> the binary archive, see:
>>>

>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
>>
>>> Therefore the source archive needs to contain the test code.
>>>

>>  no they don't.
>>  "test" in this case may as well be "try it out", ie, test the code itself,
>> not run the test suite. We never ship our test suites.
>>

> Again, as others have pointed out, this is not the practice elsewhere
> in ASF projects.

still not a valid concern.

>>> It's not essential, but it's helpful if the jar MANIFEST.MF files
>>> contain the following:
>>>
>>> Built-By:
>>> Implementation-Title:
>>> Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
>>> Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
>>> Implementation-Version:
>>> Specification-Title:
>>> Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
>>> Specification-Version:

>>> It might be useful to include the Javadoc in the binary archive.
>>>
>>> The build.xml defines compile.source=1.5, however some of the classes
>>> require 1.6, for example SlowQueryReport uses the generic form of
>>> OpenType which was only introduced in 1.6.
>>>

>>  not part of the release
>>

>  It's in the archives you published.
>
> E.g. in  apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.4.zip/tomcat-jdbc-src.jar

build.xml, which is your complaint is not part of the release.

>>> The build file relies on the following files for testing, however
>>> there is no indication where these are to be obtained:
>>>
>>> c3p0-0.9.1.2.jar
>>> mysql-connector-java-5.0.7-bin.jar
>>>

>>  not part of the release.
>>

> The build file is a required part of the release.

no its not. documentation shows how to build it.