tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Mutable public fields in Tomcat 6 code
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 22:35:36 GMT
sebb wrote:
> There are quite a lot of public mutable static fields in the current
> Tomcat6 codebase.
>
> Such fields can allow malicious or accidental changes to occur, so
> should be avoided as far as possible.
> [And if a class has public mutable static fields it's generally
> impossible to make it thread-safe.]
>
> The code also has quite a lot of public mutable instance fields, which
> are almost as bad.
>
> Is there any interest in fixing these?

not from me, these observations are purely theoretical.
Fixing things for the sake of fixing it, can only lead to these things
1. At best, no change introduced
2. a convoluted SVN history
3. Possibly introducing new bugs, since there are no test cases for the
changes introduced

If you can't guarantee against 3, then there is no benefit at all to
these changes.
Filip